What's the transmission system where you have two opposed cones with a belt that moves up and down the cones, giving continuously variable gear ratios?

I think they are used on some railcars?

· · Web · 3 · 0 · 0

@grumpysmiffy It's just called a continuously variable transmission, I think? I know the Toyota Prius uses it instead of a gear box.

There are a a number of cars that use them these days. Not particularly high torque. Modern examples have steel belts and a very shallow cone construction. You'll find a number of teardowns and explanations on youtube under CVT.

Sign in to participate in the conversation

Welcome to thundertoot! A Mastodon Instance for 'straya